Thursday, November 23, 2006

Hanging out with 30,000 of my closest friends.

Thanksgiving was a good one today. I was up until about 1AM baking an apple pie that I wanted to try out. I learned one lesson, cast iron skillets make decent pie tins in a pinch, and having to end up with a deep dish pie is definitely a bonus.

Over the last few years, my wife has rediscovered one of her old college passions: running. She did a triathlon last year and has done the occasional 5k in the area. This year, she got me to enter the Turkey Trot with her. Thankfully, I was able to walk the 3 miles as I blew out my ankle last week and it's still not recovered. We arrived around 8am and hung around taking in the sights.
Around 9 am, we got in line and waited for the start. The announcer cracked some jokes, then came the count down. Due to the sheer number of participants, it was a few minutes before we could get a pace going.
















Once we got going, it was fun to actually walk
down the middle of a street and not have to
worry about being hit by anything.









I was shocked at how far three miles can really be. The route took us through Deep Ellum, and back around to City Hall. Thankfully, the finish line was dead ahead.

My time was around 90 minutes. I know it's pitiful, but with a bum ankle and not really trying to set any land speed records, I'm happy.

Overall, this looks to be a new family tradition. It was crowded, a little hot, and crowded; but it was something that I would definitely do again.

-D



No comments: